Step back in time and into San Francisco’s early days as you visit the Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park. An icon to Victorian architecture, the Conservatory is the oldest existing public wood-and-glass conservatory in North America, has been welcoming visitors from around the world since 1879, and is a national, state and local landmark. Inside, take in the sights and scents of thousands of tropical plants from around the globe – including towering palms, rare orchids, and cascading flowering vines.
This one-of-a-kind, muti-sensory living museum is situated at the east entrance to Golden Gate Park, a vibrant urban park encompassing over 1,000 acres of activities, gardens, museums, trails and programming for visitors of all ages.
This one-hour special Group experience includes the following key elements:
- A dedicated Staff Docent assigned to the Group of 20 to 40 guests.
- In a 10-minute introduction on the Palm Terrace, the Docent will offer a photo history and the following interpretive insites:
- Transport visitors to the Victorian era when the Conservatory first opened
- Explain how Conservatory Valley has evolved over the decades
- Highight key architectural features of the building
- How the Conservatory was built and renovated; with direct connections to world famous institutions
- An overview of the Conservatory galleries and exhibitions
- Group photo on the scenic Palm Terrace before entering the Conservatory
- Group escorted into the Conservatory to enjoy the galleries and exhibitions at their own pace/leisure
- Selection of plants and fresh cuttings selected by a Conservatory Horticulturalst for the Docent to share with the Group, such as fragrant allspice and cinnamon leaves – or a surprise look inside a carnivorous pitcher plant
- The Group will be provided an Admission Tab to wear and keep as part of their Conservatory visit
- Free self-guided experience booklets will be provided to each member of the Group (English only at this time)
- The Group is invited to stop by Conservatory Gift Shop and pick-up their complimentary commemorative Conservatory of Flowers complimentary gift and browse one-of-a-kind items
Boxed Lunch Upgrade – Café 841
- Lunches will be pre-ordered and pre-paid for the visit. Menu options. MENU LINK
- We encourage the Group to enjoy the Café 841 boxed lunch on the front lawn of the Conservatory or aboard their motor coach en route to their next San Francisco experience
Group Experience: Details & Date Restrictions
- Experiences offered: Wednesday and Thursday only at 11:30 a.m. or 2:00 p.m., and at 4:15 p.m. during extended hours – March 16-October 31
- Not available on Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday
- Not available on all Federal Holidays. Please call in advance for availability.
- Group Experience for 20 to 40 Guests: $25
- Group Experience with Boxed Lunch for 20 to 40 Guests: $37
- Wholesale rates available with a 500+ Guest guarantee
Email groupexperience(at)sfcof.org to schedule a visit.