Position Title: Event Operations Manager
Hours: 40 Hours per week
Position Category: Non-Exempt, Full time, Seasonal October 1st through January 31st
Reports to: Director of Events and Partnerships
The Event Operations Manager at the Conservatory of Flowers reports directly to the Director of Events and Partnerships and is responsible for developing and overseeing processes which support smooth event operations. Duties include managing all hiring, onboarding and scheduling of part-time event staff, managing all event department equipment, administering all event policies and procedures, and run point for all Conservatory large-scale internal events. The Event Operations Manager will work collaboratively with the Director of Events and Partnerships, the Senior Manager of Event Sales and Partnerships, the Public Event Producer, the Private Event Manager, other department staff members, and a bench of part-time event staff.
EVENT STAFFING (45% of the time)
- In collaboration with the Director of Events and Partnerships and the Director of Operations ensure a robust part time event team is maintained while ensuring hiring practices follow company-wide policies. The Event Operations Manager will do so by:
- Overseeing all hiring, including posting job listings, recruiting, conducting phone screens and scheduling onsite interviews.
- Initiating and overseeing onboarding including conducting an initial orientation shift
- Scheduling of all part-time staff
- Approving payroll
- Assisting with trainings as needed
- In collaboration with the Private Event Manager and the Public Events Producer, the Event Operations Manager will be main point of contact with security including scheduling staffing for all events
EVENT EQUIPMENT MANAGEMENT (20% of the time)
- Complete ongoing research for equipment that serves organizational needs
- Research best equipment for Events Department needs
- Order and track all new Event Department equipment
- Manage event equipment inventory and maintenance plan including procuring necessary supplies for equipment usage
- Manage and maintain event equipment storage plan
EVENT OPERATIONS ADMINISTRATION (15% of the time)
- Collaborate with the Director of Operations to ensure event operations practices follow company-wide policies
- Keep up to date events staff Policy and Procedures manual with detailed guidelines and instructions
- Ensure adherence to COF Permit Policy that includes:
- Communicating with event colleagues regarding permit needs
- Maintaining records of all needed permits and filing deadlines
- Liaise with the Fire Department for occupancy requirements
EVENT MANAGEMENT (15% of the time)
- Manage Conservatory of Flowers internal events and meetings including:
- Advisory Council meetings
- All-staff development trainings
- All-staff meetings
- Member Party and Volunteer Party event logistics
- General other internal events and meetings as they arise
- Manage San Francisco Parks Alliance events when hosted at the Conservatory of Flowers
- Manage San Francisco Recreation and Parks events when hosted at the Conservatory of Flowers
Responsibilities for the above include:
- Being main contact for the event
- Maintaining event calendar and notes
- Creating overall event plan and internal strategies
- Creating event maps
- Creating necessary signage
- Staffing event
- Overseeing set-up and breakdown
- Overseeing vendor management
- Overseeing general event
TEAM SUPPORT (5% of the time)
- Fill in for the Assistant Events Producer as needed
- Support private and public events as needed.
- General assistance as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or Event Management is preferred; Professional Event and Meeting Planning Certificate (desired).
- At least three years of experience in project management, staff hiring, and event production.
- Hyper-organized with demonstrated track record of excellent time management and project management.
- Creative with the ability to professionally and patiently manage the unexpected.
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills including experience building and maintaining relationships with colleagues, external clients and sponsors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, experience working with CRM databases; Salesforce experience strongly desired. Pardot experience desired.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
- Enthusiastic, positive and passionate about Events at the Conservatory of Flowers; thirst for learning and a sense of humor is essential!
The Conservatory of Flowers is committed to a diverse, welcoming and convivial environment. People of color, women and members of the LGBTQ community are encouraged to apply. Please send cover letter and resume to jobs(at)sfcof.org